Flat rate & Free shipping options
Supplier to Vikings and Game of Thrones
Product number: 2417
Final chance to purchase the Tyr sword. We have been apporached with an offer to purchase the rights to use Grimfrost's design on the Tyr-sword, which we accepted. We will thus no longer sell this particual design, but are working on new ones.
Grimfrost's Tyr is is a Viking Age sword of high quality performance and craftsmanship. The mold cast guard has a custom design lindworm pattern, which is repeated on the scabbard's chape. The pommel comes with the runic inscription "Tyr Viki", meaning "Tyr protects" or "Tyr bless" in Old Norse. It also has the Tyr-rune on both sides of the pommel. The two Tyr-runes are mentioned in the poem Sigrdrífumál in the Poetic Edda as a way of achieving victory in battle.
The blade is hand-forged in a semi-production environment in high carbon 1065 steel and comes with a fuller. Both the leather covered wooden scabbard and the leather wrapped handle are sewn into place by hand. The scabbard also comes with a belt. The sword can be bought sharpened or blunt for reenactment fighting purposes.
- Choose between a Sharpened or a Blunt (2 mm) edge
- Total length: 36.6" (93 cm)
- Length of blade: 30.7" (78 cm)
- Maximum width of blade: 1.85" (47 mm)
- Grip length: 4" (10 cm)
- Weight of sword: 2.4 lb (1,1 kg)
- Balance point: 16 cm from the guard
- Full tang blade forged in high carbon 1065 steel
- Hand-forged blade in a semi-production environment
- Hand-sewn leather covered handle and wooden scabbard
- Peened pommel
- Copyright: Grimfrost
- Care instructions are sent with the sword.
In a stanza of Sigrdrífumál, a poem in the Poetic Edda, a Valkyrie teaches that to achieve victory in battle, "victory runes" are to be carved on the sword and the name "Týr" said twice: "Winning-runes learn, if thou longest to win, And the runes on thy sword-hilt write; Some on the furrow, and some on the flat, And twice shalt thou call on Tyr."