Shaman Drum, Nidhöggr
- Out of stock
- Inventory on the way
- Size: 21" x 21" (55 x 55 cm)
- Traditionally handmade in Finland
- Reindeer hide drumhead
- Natural linen ropes
- Layered birch plywood frame
- A pinewood handle is attached to the frame with wooden plugs to make the structure as solid as possible
- The artwork is painted with oil color, stain varnish or a combination of both
- The beater is made of reindeer fur and horn/antler
FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING!
Traditional shaman drum that is carefully handmade in Finland, where old Nordic shamanic traditions have survived throughout the centuries. It has been crafted out of traditional materials without the use of any powertools. Only a handsaw, a knife and sandpaper has been used during the process. This crafting method takes time, but it is necessary if the drum is to have a spirit of its own.
Nidhöggr and Yggdrasil, the World Tree, are beautifully painted by hand onto the drumskin. Yggdrasil is very important in the Viking Age worldview. The entire universe is built around it. Nidhöggr is a serpent who dwells among the roots of the world tree Yggdrasil and gnaws on them. He also chews on the corpses of murderers, adulterers and oath-breakers, the worst crimes of Viking Age Scandinavia, who have ended up in Náströnd (Corpse Shore) in Hel, the realm of the dead.
It is truly a fantastic instrument. The reindeer hide drumhead combined with the solid structure results in an amazing echo and powerful sound.
The drum comes with care instructions and a guide to the Drum Awakening Ceremony in case you wish to use it for shamanic practices rather than just as an instrument.